- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 315kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 8g
- Fat Content: 21g
- Protein Content: 21g
- Salt : 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Potassium: 8mmol / 312mg
- Phosphate: 267mg / 8.5 mmol
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onion until it turns golden.
- Add in the mince and stir frequently. Fry briskly and drain the fat.
- Take the pan off the heat. Add the flour and half the water, drained tomatoes and the herbs.
- Cover and simmer for about an hour or until the mince is tender.
- As the mince thickens, add the rest of the liquid.
- Allow to cool.
Per portion this dish provides 3 protein exchanges (allowances) and 1 vegetable portion. Check your daily allowances to see if you have enough remaining for this dish.
Reproduced with kind permission from the Irish Kidney Association
Some advice from the Kidney (Renal) Dietitians:
‘If you need to follow a low potassium kidney diet, serve this main meal with boiled rice instead of potatoes to keep the potassium content of the total meal as low as possible’