- Preheat the oven to 150°C (Gas Mark 2).
- Pat the pineapple dry with some kitchen paper, coarsely chop and place in the bottom of 2 greased ramekin dishes (approx 8-9cm diameter).
- Heat the cream gently until it bubbles around the edge, but do not boil.
- Add half the sugar to the egg in a mixing bowl and whisk until well blended. Gradually whisk in the cream, then stir in the vanilla essence or brandy.
- Pour the mixture over the pineapple to 1cm below the rim of the dish.
- Place the ramekins in a shallow roasting dish filled with boiling water to a depth of 3cm or ¾ the depth of the ramekin.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the custard is set. Remove and cool. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to the hottest setting.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar evenly over the top of the custard. Grill until brown and bubbling. Cool and chill for 1 hour before serving.
Per portion this dish provides ½ protein exchanges (allowances) and ½ fruit portion. Check your daily allowances to see if you have enough remaining for this dish.
Reproduced with kind permission from ‘Food for Thought’ Recipe book