Roast Crown of Turkey with Sage and Onion Stuffing
- Ready - prepared Turkey Crown - 4.5kg (10lb)
- Butter, at room temperature - 75g (3 oz)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped - 1 level tbsp
- Fresh thyme, chopped - 1 level tsp
- For the Stuffing
- Butter - 75g (3oz)
- 1 small onion, diced
- Fresh sage, chopped - 1 level tsp
- fresh white breadcrumbs - 175g (6oz)
- Freshly ground black pepper - pinch (1/4 level teaspoon)
- Preheat the oven to 190
degrees celcius / 375 degrees fahrenheit / Gas 5.
- To make the stuffing, heat a frying pan and melt the butter.
- Add the onion and sage and cook for a few minutes, until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, mixing well to combine.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Wrap the stuffing in buttered tinfoil and mould into a large sausage shape.
- This can be cooked in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes.
Next, prepare the Turkey Crown.
- Cream the butter in a bowl until very soft and then add the crushed garlic, orange rind, parsley and thyme.
- Beat well, until thoroughly blended.
- Gently loosen the neck flap away from the breast and pack the flavoured butter right under the skin - this is best done using gloves on your hands.
- Rub well into the flesh of the turkey, then re-cover the skin and secure with a small skewer.
- Place the turkey crown in the oven and calculate your time. You should allow 20 minutes per 450g (1lb) plus 20 minutes, so a joint this size should take 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Cover loosely the foil and remove this about 40 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- The turkey crown will cook much quicker than a whole turkey, so make sure to keep basting.
- To check if the turkey is cooked, pierce a fine skewer into the chest part of the crown - the juices should run clear.
- When cooked, cover with foil to rest and keep warm.
- To serve, carve the turkey crown into slices and arrange 125g (5 oz) on warmed plates with the cooked stuffing.
Reproduced with kind permission from 'Truly Tasty' Recipe book.