- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 315kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 8g
- Fat Content: 21g
- Protein Content: 21g
- Salt : 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Potassium: 8mmol / 312mg
- Phosphate: 267mg / 8.5 mmol
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onion until it turns golden.
- Add in the mince and stir frequently. Fry briskly and drain the fat.
- Take the pan off the heat. Add the flour and half the water, drained tomatoes and the herbs.
- Cover and simmer for about an hour or until the mince is tender.
- As the mince thickens, add the rest of the liquid.
- Allow to cool.
- this dish provides 3 protein exchanges (allowances) and 1 vegetable portion.
- Check your daily allowances to see if you have enough remaining for this dish.
Reproduced with kind permission from the Irish Kidney Association
Some advice from the Kidney (Renal) Dietitians:
‘If you need to follow a low potassium kidney diet, serve this main meal with boiled rice instead of potatoes to keep the potassium content of the total meal as low as possible’